I’ve been at the farm all day today and yesterday. Ben and I have been working on our little house quite a bit. Yesterday we got the header up for the ceiling and got almost all the ceiling studs up in the bedroom. 🙂
Today we got up more insulation in the walls and nearly half the insulation in the ceiling of the bedroom. Yay!! It’s coming along quite well. I was covered in insulation fibers or, as a friend so appropriately named it, “Satan’s cotton candy”. I cannot imagine doing this during the summer. It’s just noooo fun. But it has to get done so I’m happy to do it. The ceiling stuff was worse because it was unfaced (no paper backing).
Anyway I’m happy and sleepy and can’t wait to finish our little house in the next few months. 🙂
I got and spent my Webs gift card today. 🙂 Actually it came in the mail when we were in Atlanta, but I spent it today.
I ended up getting some of the clearance yarns and I have a plan for more table runners. I’m going to do a white warp and put on enough for 5 different runners. I’ll be using 10/2 cotton for the warp instead of 8/2. I’m hoping this might fix the problem I’m having with it being rectangular and unbalanced.
I also bought 5/2 cotton for the weft of the table runners. And 8/4 carpet warp was on sale for $5 dollars a pound so I bought a few cones of that too…AND I always buy 6ply rayon when I’m making a Webs order because they have it and it’s cheap and I’m scared of when it runs out because I’ll be super depressed. Hopefully it’ll be here sometime next week. 😀 I think it ended up being something like 15 pounds of yarn. Which means that I will have received/bought 39 pounds of yarn within the past two weeks. Eeek. That’s a lot of freaking yarn. And I already have a lot so I guess I need to weave more…I don’t think I can weave fast enough. Also, and I know I’ve said this before, but I need to stop buying yarn for a while!
So whilst in Atlanta we went to PF Chang’s and got the lettuce wrap appetizer. (Which could actually be a meal!) And we loved them. So Ben found a copy cat recipe here.
But I figured I’d post it on my blog too. It’s super simple and tastes very close to the “real” thing. 🙂
Wanna-be PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Ingredients for pouring sauce:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons gluten free tamari (or regular soy sauce if you’re not concerned about gluten)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Ingredients for stir-fry sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
Ingredients for chicken stir-fry:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed to 1/2″
- 1 – 8oz can sliced water chestnuts, minced to the size of corn kernals
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, minced to the size of corn kernals
- 1/2 onion, chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 6 large leaves of iceberg lettuce or nappa cabbage
To make the pouring sauce:
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup warm water, then add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil. Mix well and throw in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
- Just before serving, combine 1 teaspoons hot water with dijon mustard and garlic and mix in small bowl. Add to the pouring sauce, 1/2 a teaspoon at time to taste.
To make the stir-fry sauce:
- Prep the stir fry sauce by mixing soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar in a small bowl.
To make the chicken stir-fry:
- Combine oils and add to wok or large frying pan. Heat oil over high heat until it glistens, about one minute. Add chicken and saute until mostly cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat under the wok down to medium-high. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, wait one minute, and then add garlic, onions, water chestnuts, mushrooms, and the stir-fry sauce you prepared earlier. Stir-fry everything until the mushrooms have cooked through, about 4 minutes, and remove to a serving dish.
- Serve stir-fry with iceberg lettuce or nappa cabbage leaf wraps and top with pouring sauce.
Variation: you can do the same thing with ground beef, if you like.
We made a trip to Ikea as well. It was fun, as always. 🙂 I wish we could have stayed longer, but we had an appointment to meet with a luthier, a guitar-maker, so my brother could talk to him about the possibility of a custom guitar. I should have taken pictures at his house, but I didn’t want to make the guy uncomfortable. His name is Chris Barnett. I can’t currently find his website, but he’s based in Atlanta. He makes some pretty sweet guitars, but unfortunately, it’ll take him about a year and a half before he could have the guitar built. Boooo.
Here are a few more pictures.
This was one of the coolest Mellow Mushroom’s I’ve been too. I liked the whole industrial-esque design of the place. 🙂 And there’s a few random shots from the rest of the trip too.
What a trip! I feel like I need to recover from my vacation. haha. 🙂 But it was lots of fun! Here are some pictures from the Georgia Aquarium. We waited in line to get tickets for 45 minutes and then had to wait another 30 minutes to be let into the building. It was…ahem…Teeming with people. (BAHA!) Sorry if some of them are blurry. I’m just doing a blanket upload because I’m feelin’ lazy.
Thanks to Tara, I am able to upload all these pictures and it doesn’t take up as much space! (I figured out how to export/scale images with Picasa!!) Yay!!
We are still out and about traveling with the fam, so I’m blogging from my iPod. I completely forgot to bring my camera upload cord so pictures will have to wait.
We’re in Atlanta! Today was spent by going to Costco (which may sound dumb but I was totally excited about it because it’s the only place we can find sundried tomatoes for a decent price. We bought 4 32oz jars. Heaven!!) anyway, from there we went to the Georgia Aquarium which was BEYOND crowded. But it was beautiful and I took a lot of pictures. I also decided I need a better camera. 😦
Side note: apparently there’s a room called the Ocean Ballroom and also apparently someone was getting married there today because we saw a bride and groom with a photographer walking around.
Anyway we were quite dead after the aquarium and starving so we went to The Mellow Mushroom. Ben and I love that place! It was my parents first time there but they enjoyed it. My brother, sister, Ben and I all got calzones. 🙂 my fave.
We’re back at the hotel now and going to watch Knight and Day.
Tomorrow we’re going to a guitar store for my brother so he can look around and potentially find a new guitar.
Really all I want to do is be at home with all my new yarn!!! But it’s been a lot of fun so far. 🙂 I definitely have lots of projects in mind. I have to start preparing for if I get in to the TACA fair! Gotta build up MORE inventory!! I may attempt to drag everyone to a yarn store before we leave. Traditionally at Christmas we make a detour on our way back from SC in Ashville, NC and mom and I get to go to Earthguild. Since that didn’t happen this year I may have to figure something else out… 🙂 I shall post pictures when I’m back at home.