I’m still moving so no projects started. Since this week is almost over and we have to be out of our apartment by 2pm Monday, I should hopefully be able to start some projects SOON! 🙂 Looking forward to it.
I have a few projects rolling around in my brain right now. I believe I mentioned the linen place mat set I would like to make for some friends who are getting married. This really needs to be my first priority because they’re gettin’ hitched in June! I have done most of the calculations and I believe that I will have enough linen for 8 place mats that are 11 X 18. I know 11″ wide seems a bit of an awkward number, but that’s how much yarn I have. So hopefully that will be good enough. 🙂
I am also planning some scarves using the Cordovan rayon (plum purple) and the Susi rayon in a coral. I found a lovely undulating twill pattern that I would like to try in the Handweaver’s Pattern Directory. It’s fairly simple once everything is threaded and all that. The treadling sequence isn’t as long as others. I’m sure I’m capable of doing a more complicated sequence, but I’m trying not to overwhelm myself like I did when I attempted overshot for the first time. Haaa….Although, I’m trying to find a pattern similar to one of the overshot threadings I used in that scarf. It was one of the longer ones that I had but it was just a twill treadling sequence. I wish I hadn’t lost the sheet that had the threadings on it. I used to have the drafts saved somewhere. I wonder if I still do…I DO!! I DO!! 🙂 I found them in my email. Yay for weaving software! Although, I still think I’m going to use this undulating twill pattern. It’s intriguing.
I don’t have other plans besides this. And I’m not really sure what you sett an undulating twill at. (yes, I ended my sentence with at. But I passed college grammar with an A so I can do that. haha)
OH! My dyes shipped!! Did I tell you I ordered dyes? I forget…Well I ordered some dyes!! 😀 I’m super duper excited. Dharma had these dyes called Muck Dyes. I got an email on April Fools (the first of April, FYI) from them telling me that they had these dyes for sale. I know, I know, what on earth is a muck dye?? They are dyes that for whatever reason don’t match with the color that they were supposed to and were thus cast off. Dharma chose to sell them anyway. Yay!! They were like $8.00 a pound which is a really good deal!! Depending on the color, some dyes can sell for $6.95 for 2 ounces! The Muck dyes were given these strange/funny names too. I ordered Varicose Violet, Pepto Dismal, and Spray-On Tan. *lol* The colors are actually quite nice they just have icky names. I also ordered a starter kit so I would have all the other chemicals I need for mixing dyes as well as three more colors. (These colors are normal though. And I only have 1-2 ounces of each)
Hopefully I’ll be able to dye some of that rayon I have! I was also thinking about using some of the dyes to dye some fabric for my sister-in-law to make a comforter for her bed. She just turned 13 in February. When they first moved to TN, she was 4 or 5 and her mom bought this fabric to decorate her room and it was cute for a 5 year old, but not so much for a 13 year old…It’s like picket fences and flowery and…just not her at all anymore. SO! I was thinking it really shouldn’t be TOO hard to make a comforter for a twin bed. And low water immersion is ridiculously easy to do. I even told her we could dye two different pieces of fabric so that it would be reversible. 🙂 She wants to screen print though and that might be a bit more of a problem because I don’t have anywhere to do that or any way of burning a screen.
The pattern she wants is pretty simple so it’s possible that I could do it using something other than photo emultion. I believe Speedball makes a screen block out chemical that doesn’t require a dark room and light table. I did a bit of investigating and found the chemicals at Dick Blick. I may get some at some point and try it out. I’d love to be able to screen print again. And I don’t have to do anything really complicated. I like un-complicated. Anyway, I think it would be a fun project. I could probably use some of my mom’s pigment dyes to print with. I think she has some thickener. Pigment is SO much easier to print with. If you use dye, you have to have sodium algenate or some other type of thickener to make the dye into a paste. Now if only I had a slightly smaller screen…Mine are all pretty large and hard to manipulate…