No, not Apple. Mac as in my wonderful Macomber loom which I affectionately refer to as Mac. 🙂
I discovered he was built in 1977. I was really excited to find this information out!! It was a simple matter of emailing the Macomber sales rep. (her blog is macomberloomsandme.blogspot.com)
At first I was a bit concerned because she emailed me back and told me that they were unable to find the serial number I had given them. She asked me to check to make sure all the numbers I’d given her were correct.
After another few days she emailed me again and happily reported that they had found the serial number and that Mac was built in 1977. He’s in great shape for being built 33 years ago!! As I’ve said before, I’ve had to do some minor repairs on him. Mostly just adding aprons to the front and back. (my own construction. I refused to pay $150 dollars for 2 yards of canvas, 4 steel rods and some string)
His next upgrades will most likely be new treadles. I’m still considering whether or not I want to actually BUY treadles, or attempt to make them. A friend that also has a Macomber made some wonky treadles for hers, but they work. And they don’t cost $25 dollars each.
I also need to figure out a way of making some treadle rods for him. The rep. said they cost $1 each. That seems a bit high. It’s just bent metal. They look simple enough to make. I’ll just have to find the tools to do it. Or just use string like I have been doing. One benefit to using the string to tie up instead of the treadle rods is the string doesn’t jump off like the rods do if you tromp too hard. Of course there’s the trade off of the strings breaking…But I’ve been weaving on this loom for nearly a year with one treadle tied up with string and they still haven’t broken. 🙂 I was resourceful and used the strings from the old aprons I removed.
I would also like to try to find different rods to use in the warp and cloth aprons. The ones I have tend to get rusty which rubs off on the fabric I weave. Hopefully I’ll be able to find something. I’m not very actively looking.
On a completely unrelated note: My knitting yarn came today!! The box weighed something like 3.4 pounds. It was a lot of yarn!! But all the colors are sooo nice. I shall be making Ben a hat very soon. A friend from the clay dept. wants me to make her a hat also. I informed her I would bring the yarn with me to class one day and she could pick which colors she wants.
Ben’s hat will be my first experiment with lining the hats I make with micro fleece. I have something like 4 yards of the stuff. That’s a lot of hats! I shall update as I work on things.
Oh. I also started knitting with the yarn that my little sister-in-law gave me for Christmas. I’m making a larger cowl to see if I like them. 🙂 I’m pretty excited to see how it turns out. It’s so nice to knit again.