More Discoveries -May 14

Yesterday was sort of frustrating. I finished re-threading the warp that was on the loom when I bought it and I started sleying the reed by pulling straight forward from the harnesses. (Yes, I was warping from back to front because we had to pull it out of the reed and heddles to transport it from Kentucky)
Anyway, I don’t know how the person had the warp in there before, but it was starting to angle funny the further I got to the middle. I think they were skipping dents to change the EPI but since I was unsure what the thread count was etc. I didn’t know how I was supposed to skip. Well anyway, I decided that this was far more trouble than it was worth so I just cut it off. It was a relief because I was already starting to feel like I didn’t want to work on it and I’ve only been working on it for a week. It ended up being a good thing that I cut the warp off because I made a few discoveries of things I need to fix. First of all, instead of cloth aprons on the cloth and warp beams, Macomber uses the strings (And I have no idea what those are actually called, so we’ll just go with it.) Well the strings have been cut or broken and re-tied and are all different lengths which makes it so that the warp rod isn’t straight. Also, the warp rod on the back is severely bent in the middle and the one on the front is pretty rusted and gross. Since Macomber doesn’t actually have a website where I can easily buy replacement parts, I went to Leclerc’s website to look and see how much a replacement apron and warp rod was. $30 dollars! For a piece of fabric!

And another $10 or something like that for a steel rod! Ridiculous!So I decided I’m just going to make my own. How hard can it be? I checked to see how the strings were attatched to the beams. It’s just heavy duty staples and at the Leclerc website they just used a finishing nail/tack thing. I measured the length and width for the aprons and plan on using canvas since that’s what the aprons on a Leclerc are made of. I wasn’t sure what kind of rod to get from Lowe’s so I asked Ben what he thought. Timmy and Ben said that it’s actually better to get a hollow rod or a pipe because it’s less likely to bend. Why? I don’t know. But hopefully it will work.I also have to buy a spring for the break. The one that’s on there is all bent and messed up. Anyway, now I’m excited to get everything so I can get my loom to where I can actually work on it. There’s still some rust on the lamms and the jacks but I don’t think it’s too much of a problem. And I can probably clean it off without too much trouble.
Hopefully sometime soon I’ll actually be weaving!! I need to do a couple of samplers of some patterns I found. I’d like to do a honeycomb, summer and winter, and some overshot patterns. Then I plan on actually building up an inventory for this fall. The summer is already seeming too short!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s